RELATIONSHIP BASED DOG TRAINING
At PAWfect Pet Services I take a wholistic approach in developing plans for you and your dogs. I also take pride in offering the most humane, effective and latest dog training techniques. My goal is to increase the bond between you and your dog so that you may both live a happier, more peaceful life together. Hence relationship-based dog training.
By helping our dogs better understand what behaviors we want from them and rewarding the wanted behaviors, they are more likely to demonstrate these behaviors. Relationship-based training is a method of training building upon the relationship between the trainer and the dog to achieve results benefiting both parties while at the same time enhancing and strengthening your relationship.
Knowledgeable trainers understand animals are not born knowing how to fit into our human lives. Expecting an animal to know what we want from them without giving them proper direction, is unrealistic and punishing an animal for not knowing something, I believe is unfair. In relationship-based training every animal is seen as an individual.
Some basic principals are:
- The animals immediate needs come first. Taking into account whether the animal is injured, ill, fearful, frustrated, hungry, thirsty, needing to elimate or exercise. Putting off training until the animal's needs have been met and they can concentrate on training.
- Learning to interpret animals' body language,tuning into telltale signs that let you know how the animal is feeling-whether it's joy, anger, fear, frustration or some other emotion. Understanding body language improves communication and keeps us safe.
- Becoming clear about your expectations for your animal, and also being honest about your abilities and limitations that may hinder progress.
- Figuring out what motivates your animal (affection, treats, toys, etc) and using this to your advantage building positive associations.
- Using positive reinforcement to encourage behavior you like, realizing that punishment isn't necessary for elminating undesirable behaviors.
- Only redirections or slight corrections may be necessary.
- Controlling the environments that your pet is exposed to as much as possible to eliminate exposure to negative experiences.
- Supervising the animal carefully, setting them up for success instead of allowing for too much responsibility your pet may not be ready for.
- Using slight correction, distraction and redirection to take your dog's attention off anxiety-provoking situations.
During the sessions I will educate and teach you how to build upon the relationship you have established with your pet, or work on building one. I will teach you to recognize appropriate times to reward/praise and increase wanted behaviors and to distract/redirect and decrease unwanted behaviors. We will work on timing and helping you to become aware of how your actions or inactions may be impacting your pets life.
Scroll Over Behavior Training to find out about pricing and how our private dog training services work! Contact us today to get one step closer to your household becoming a more balanced one!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: